Turfgrass Program Grows Industry Leaders: Matthew Fine

Share on

Matthew Fine of Knoxville, Tennessee, is graduating from the Herbert College of Agriculture with a Bachelor of Science in Plant Sciences with a concentration in turf management. Transferring to the Turfgrass Science and Management program opened his eyes to a new world of career possibilities and paved the way toward exciting internship opportunities and memorable experiences as a UT student.

How would you describe your experience in the Herbert College of Agriculture?

My experience in the Herbert College of Agriculture was incredible. All of the Ag teachers genuinely care about you as a student and a person. The smaller class size and student body in the Ag program allowed me to connect better with professors and meet some fantastic people in the program. The Ag and Turf programs also push for extraordinary internships, which helped me grow as a student and allowed me to travel to different places and make new connections/friends.

What was your favorite class and/or who is your favorite professor?

My favorite classes were Advanced Turf and Turf Pathology. Dr. Sorochan taught Advanced Turf and Dr. Horvath taught Turf Pathology. These classes were essential for me as a turf student and they both helped me succeed during my internship.

What is one of your favorite memories during your time at UT?

My favorite memory as a student at UT was going to San Diego and Orlando for the GCSAA Conference and competing in the student competition. During this time, I was able to spend four days with some of my fellow classmates and teachers. It is a great way to bond with classmates and get your name out in the turf industry. Beating Alabama last year was pretty cool too.

How has being a Herbert student impacted your life?

Before becoming a Herbert student in the turf program, I was studying business. I had no idea what I wanted to do and then I saw that UT had a turf program. I got a job at a local golf course and immediately fell in love. I transferred into the turf program and that was probably the best decision I have made. During my time as a Herbert student, I have taken my academics more seriously and have been able to see new places and meet new people.

What are your plans for after graduation?

After graduation I am heading up to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to start a job as an Agronomist/AIT at Oakmont Country Club. Oakmont is known to be one of the hardest courses in the world and has hosted numerous U.S. Opens. It is ranked as the 5th best course in the country and I am very excited to learn how a top course in the world operates agronomically. I am also excited to be able to prepare for another U.S. Open in 2025.

Matthew Fine sitting on steps in front of the Torchbearer statue