Herbert Grad Prepares for Fulbright Program: Eilish Bennett

Share on

Eilish Bennett of Centerville, Tennessee, is graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Agricultural and Resource Economics from the Herbert College of Agriculture. After four impactful years at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, she could not imagine herself graduating from any other school.

How would you describe your experience in the Herbert College of Agriculture?

My experience in Herbert has been nothing short of spectacular. From eating at Mabel’s with classmates to throwing axes with the forestry club, being part of this college has provided me with an engaging and hands-on education that extends beyond the classroom. Plus, the smaller size of our college makes it possible to form closer relationships with faculty and other students, and this relationship-building has been integral to my undergraduate experience. 

What was your favorite class and/or who is your favorite professor?

My favorite class is actually one that I’m taking in my last semester, which is FORS 335: Principles of Urban Forestry with Dr. Jean-Philippe. The last half of the semester is spent climbing the huge trees outside of the Brehm building, which has been so much fun! 

What is one of your favorite memories from your time at UT?

Some of my favorite memories at UT have stemmed from my friendships that have grown beyond classes and campus involvements. For example, some of my closest friends I met through my UT Extension internship and in my Herbert classes. We spend the weekends going to football games together and camping in the Smokies! 

How has being a Herbert student impacted your life?

Being a Herbert student has had an indelible impact on my experience as a college student as well as my post-graduation career. The support from faculty has allowed me opportunities both on and off campus, helping me become a well-rounded student. I truly cannot see myself graduating from any other college at UT – Herbert has such an intimate and supportive atmosphere students could not get elsewhere!

What are your plans for after graduation?

After graduation, I will be going to the Czech Republic to teach English with the U.S. Fulbright Program for a year. The following year, I plan to return to the United States to pursue further education in environmental economics.