Developing a Connection to Nature at Herbert: Menachem Smolianski

Share on

Menachem Smolianski of Silver Spring, Maryland, is graduating from the Herbert College of Agriculture School of Natural Resources with a Bachelor of Science in Wildlife and Fisheries Management. Through his education, Menachem gained a deeper connection to the outdoors which fueled his passion for the environment and conservation.

Menachem holding a bucket of berries

How would you describe your experience at the Herbert College of Agriculture?

I would describe my experience at the Herbert College of Agriculture as the most rewarding and challenging experience of my life. I arrived at UT knowing that I wanted to pursue an education in conservation and that I was beyond excited for the opportunity to pursue a degree in the field of wildlife. However, what I did not expect was how intensive, hands-on and comprehensive the program would be. Through my time as a wildlife student, I have learned an incredible amount about the natural world and garnered a deep and life-changing understanding of ecology, the environment and the human connection to the land.

What was your favorite class and/or who is your favorite professor?

It is hard to choose a favorite class, but a class I enjoyed immensely was dendrology. Not only did I learn to identify more than 100 species of trees, but this class also took place almost entirely in the field, something that made class fun and interesting. I always looked forward to going every week. Additionally, Dr. Emma Wilcox and Professor Chris Graves made a huge impact on me as a student. Both professors pushed me towards success and were incredible mentors, demonstrating qualities that I wish to emulate in the future.

Menachem holding a fish

What is one of your favorite memories during your time at UT?

One of my favorite memories during my time at UT was the wildlife and fisheries fall camp experience. We spent an entire semester traveling across east and central Tennessee learning about wildlife and fisheries management from experts in their fields. This experience was valuable to me not only because of the hands-on learning opportunities, but also because of the relationships I was able to develop with my peers and mentors.

How has being a Herbert student impacted your life?

Being a Herbert student has changed the way that I experience the outdoors and surroundings. Through learning about wildlife and fisheries during my college career, I am now able to fully see the outdoors for the intricate and complex system that it is. Being a Herbert student has also impacted my life by connecting me with others that share the same passion and interests that I do, keeping me well-rounded through my college experience.

What are your plans for after graduation?

After graduation, I will be taking an internship position with the Southeast Conservation Corps and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park working with rare and endemic plants in the park. After I complete this internship, I hope to continue my education at a graduate program, furthering my wildlife education.