Welcome, Megan Myers!

Share on

Megan Myers is UTIA Institutional Advancement’s new assistant director for stewardship and donor relations. Learn about Megan below and some of the plans she has for the position.

What sparked your interest in agriculture?

I grew up in a rural part of San Diego County in California. My passion for agriculture began when I got involved in Future Farmers of America (FFA) my freshman year of high school. I participated in FFA all four years and became heavily involved in various competitions on the local, regional, and state level. 

I attended the University of California, Berkeley, for my BS in society and environment. And I earned my MS from Texas A&M University in agricultural, leadership, education and communications. 

What excites you most about this position?

This is a new position within Institutional Advancement that was created to focus specifically on internal stewardship and donor relations for UTIA. My role has a heavy emphasis on internal stewardship by communicating with various faculty and staff to ensure gift monies are being stewarded appropriately. On the donor relations side, I send out postcards, mail acknowledgement letters, and email thank you videos “Thank Views” to our donors for Herbert, the College of Veterinary Medicine, UT Extension, and AgResearch. I will also be developing a more comprehensive donor relation plan for UTIA as a whole. 

I am excited to return to a higher education setting and be surrounded by great minds who are also passionate about agriculture and natural resources. For me this role is the perfect blend between interacting with various stakeholders and utilizing my data analysis skills for reporting purposes. 

This position is a bit nostalgic for me, as it touches on my past, present, and future. When I was an undergraduate at University of California, Berkeley, I worked for three years in the Office of College Relations for the Rausser College of Natural Resources. This position paved the way for my interest in stewardship and donor relations and was the perfect stepping stone toward what I do now. I absolutely loved that job and am glad my career is building off my past experiences.

Do you have any guiding philosophies/principles for working with various stakeholders?

When working with various stakeholders I believe it is essential to understand how my role can help them. A guiding principle for me is to be relational and establish a meaningful connection. I also believe it is important to be prepared and communicate my objectives clearly. When working with various stakeholders I want to be professional, relatable, and seen as an ally who is willing to put in the work to accomplish our collective goals.

What are some interests outside of work? 

Playing grass and sand volleyball, competing in a cornhole league, and paddleboarding. Most importantly, cheering on the Texas A&M Aggies in football!