UT Student Places Third in National Soils Contest

Share on

Will Hatcher, a junior from Maryville, Tennessee, is studying environmental soil science in the Biosystems Engineering and Soil Science department. In March, Hatcher competed with the “Soil Vols” soil judging team at the 2023 National Collegiate Soils Contest in Woodward, Oklahoma. The competition challenges students’ ability to identify and characterize a soil profile from within the field. 

Hatcher placed 3rd in the individual competition. “This was my first time competing at nationals, and I still have yet to take a majority of the upper-level soil classes, so I didn’t think I would rank in the top 10, let alone the top 3,” he shared excitedly. “However, it was incredibly satisfying to see the long hours of standing in soil pits in crazy high wind speeds and all the knowledge I gained being in the field culminating in such a high achievement.” 

Will Hatcher judging a soil pit
U.T. Students competing in the 2023 National Soils Contest

After graduation, Hatcher plans to pursue a master’s degree in soil science, with a goal to work as a soil scientist consultant for urban development with a special interest in riparian zone work. In the meantime, he is excited to grow his knowledge base and showcase his academic abilities. “I can’t wait to compete again next year to see more unique soils and to continue to represent the university,” said Hatcher. “Additionally, I would like to thank my teacher and coach Andrew Sherfy for being an awesome mentor and helping our team make it through the long days of learning and trudging through pits.”

Hatcher and the UT Soil Science team are a great example of the mission of the University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture. Through hands-on, educational experiences, the Herbert College is preparing future leaders in the agricultural and environmental industries to find Real. Life. Solutions.