Harrison Falcofsky—a 2023-2024 #TeachAg Ambassador

Share on

Harrison Falcofsky, a junior agriculture leadership, education and communication major, has recently been chosen by the National Association of Agricultural Educators as a 2023-2024 National #TeachAg Ambassador.

What drew you to the Herbert College of Agriculture?

I transferred here from UT Martin last fall, but I was drawn here by the community that Herbert offers and the idea of going to a bigger school with more opportunities and some pretty good sports teams.

What was your reaction when you found out you were chosen as a #TeachAg Ambassador?

I was extremely excited. Teaching ag is always something that I’ve wanted to do since I was in high school. I honestly didn’t think I would be selected for the opportunity as I haven’t had much involvement with NAAE as a student member, but I’m excited to represent my university and our state on the national level.

What do you hope to accomplish as a #TeachAg Ambassador?

I hope to inspire more students who are thinking about teaching ag to take a chance on it. I know education isn’t the field for everyone, but I know first-hand the impact a good ag teacher can have on a student’s future and would encourage you to think more about it.

How does this contribute to your future professional goals?

I plan to teach ag in the next few years, and this allows me to advocate for my fellow ag education students, network, and learn skills for me to use in my future career.

How has the Herbert College of Agriculture prepared you for this opportunity?

Dr. Granberry sent out an email at the end of last semester urging us to get involved in NAAE opportunities and it opened the door for me to explore their website and opportunities available. The ALEC faculty have also been super supportive and involved with helping me prepare for my responsibilities.

Any faculty mentors you want to give a shoutout to?

Definitely Dr. Granberry for encouraging me to get involved in NAAE and Ally Lay for helping me keep my head on my shoulders.

Any advice you would like to offer other students?

Get involved with whatever opportunities you can on or off campus. Ask your professors and the staff around you and don’t be afraid to take a risk and apply. The worst thing that happens is they say no.

Anything else you would like to add?

If you’re thinking about switching to a career in ag education please reach out and ask about anything! We can always use more ag teachers.